Just wanted to (re)share a recipe for those of you who are following the low-carb lifestyle.
You can find the original recipe here. I highly recommend this website. I’ve found some great recipes there.
- 1 almond pie crust – (this is optional, if you don’t want to cook, but I prefer it)
- 10 ounces room-temperature cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Zero-carb sugar substitute (I use Splenda) equal to about 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- You can also add some cocoa if you’re looking for a chocolate fix. I use 2 tablespoons and adjust the sweetener accordingly to taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Bake the almond pie crust, either in a deep-dish pie pan or springform pan (if using a pie pan, you don’t need to spread the crust to the rim of the pan).
In a medium bowl, combine 10 ounces room-temperature cream cheese, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and sugar substitute very well. If you are using an electric mixer, fluff it up for 1 to 2 minutes. If you’re adding cocoa, add it here.
In a second bowl, whip the 1 cup heavy cream to soft peaks — you actually want it slightly less beaten than you would for a dessert topping.
Stir about a third of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it. Then gently fold another third in, and then gently fold in the remaining third.
Spread cream cheese mixture into crust. Smooth off and chill for at least 2 to 3 hours. The original recipe suggests adding a fruit topping, but I 1) don’t want those extra carbs and 2) I don’t like fruit topping 🙂 But that’s your call. I prefer to spread whipped cream over the whole pie and chill for a few hours.
Yes, even us low-carbers can celebrate Pi Day!! Enjoy!